Decisions to make before getting a dog bed
1. In what part of your house will you be placing the dog bed. Does your dog sleep near the front door or in the living room? Wherever you might put the bed you should try to match the current decor. If you find the dog bed to be unattractive you might be inclined to hide it when guests arrive. This would not be fair to your dog. If your dog sleeps equally in a few favorite spots then you might need an easily portable bed or more than one dog bed.
2. You definitely need to be picky about choosing a dog bed with a good cover. The cover should be durable and washable. The best covers are also removable. If you are considering buying a cover that is not removable then you should be set to steam clean the bed every 12 months. It may even be possible to bring it to a dry cleaner. Regular carpet cleaners will happily also clean the dog bed and likely will not charge extra.
3. Dog beds come in a number of different shapes. There are nest beds, foam mattress beds and human-type furniture dog beds. Nest beds also good for colder climates since your dog can snuggle down inside the bed. A conventional and longer dog mattress might be the right choice if your dog stretches out when he sleeps. Dogs that sleep both ways (and generally speaking most do) might do best with a human-type furniture dog beds like a fainting couch dog bed. These beds are also conversation pieces although older dogs with mobility problems may have difficulty climbing up onto a furniture type bed.
4. Determine what type of foam the bed is stuffed with. Cheap dog beds are stuffed with cheaper quality foam. The highest quality foam is called high loft foam. As the dog owner you need to decide how often you want to replace the dog bed. Really inexpensive dog beds can flatten out and get hard or the stuffing might shift to the perimeter leaving no foam where the dog actually sleeps. This defeats the purpose of the dog bed. If your dog is arthritic, you may consider the possibility of an orthopedic dog bed. Orthopedic dog beds provide a great deal of comfort to sore dogs.
5. It is very important to buy the right sized dog bed. If the bed is too small then your dog will not be inclined to use it and you will have wasted your money. Measure you dog in a number of different sleeping positions. Get a dog bed that is slightly larger than the various measurements and you should be ok.
Make an informed decision when choosing a dog bed. When your dog gets a good night's sleep, you do too.