Important steps to cleaning your dog's ears
Among the several factors that causes dogs ear problems are; ear design that is some dogs have short ear, some have long pendulous ear, while others have thick hair in their ear. Second is the humid climate that encourages the growth of parasites, bacterial and yeasts. Next factor is the long exposure to other infected pets and lastly the dogs that can swim are prone to ear infections.
To keep your dog free form ear infections you need put your minimum effort that will surely avoid major ear problems.
1. Follow the instructions as recommended by your vets. If you get the slightest hint of bad odor then do ear cleaning with warm water, mineral oil, hydrogen peroxide, or a combination of equal parts of vinegar and rubbing alcohol but make sure that your dog does not have open sores that will have a burning sensation.
2. You are also recommended to apply pet ear care product that cleans and dry up excess moisture in the ear canal after bathing or swimming. Pet ear care product containing Tea Tree Oil will keep the ear canal of your dog dry and problem free.
3. There are also pet ear cares products available for routine ear cleaning that will dissolve wax, remove foreign debris and dry the ear canal. Even home dog care treatments are also available that can kill ear mites and ear ticks.
4. Even though your dog’s eardrum is better protected than a human beings, but the process of cleaning should be done with precise care especially when you are inserting cotton-tipped swabs into the ear canal. There is the possibility of the dirt and other foreign matter to get pushed deeper and even losing the cotton tip in the ear canal if not handled properly. Use a long cotton-tipped swab since a dog’s ear canal is much deeper than ours.
5.Using the same cotton ball or unclean tip of ear cleaning solution in another dog's ears or even in a dog's other ear will surely spread disease. Therefore always remember to use a new cotton ball or wipe clean any applicator tips.
6. Another method of cleaning involves filling the ear canal with a pet ear cleaning solution followed by gentle massage of the outer ear. After a few minutes the dog is allowed to shake his head to help clear the ear canal.
7. Removal of excess hair by trimming the hair.
Reprinted with permission: www.articlebiz.com