How to get rid of dog's behavior problems
Lots of people train their pet dogs to expand their talent, others for the pure joy it could give, but for many people they teach to discipline their pets. Pups, even when highly domesticated, could show a lot of their instincts and natural tendencies. These are they character. However, to change them to the peoples needs a selection of their instincts have to be repressed and tailored.
There are many common dogs behavior problems that most people just can't tolerate. Here are a few suggestions to solve numerous problems usually encountered by dog owners.
1. Undesired Barking
Barking is the main medium of conversation for dogs. On the other hand, a number of pet dogs tend to bark excessively in which particular case the owner can do the following actions:
- If he is barking never say no. Dog just can't understand our language and saying "no" repetitively to a dog could excite him and give him the impression that you too are barking.
- Practice consistency. Use only one command when you wish him to stop barking.
- Never get mad at him, be patient enough to drive him to the behavior you need to modify.
- Reward him whenever he picks up your command. Please don't let a good behavior pass and reward it accordingly.
2. Chewing Behavior
Puppies are normal chewers, they use chewing for practicing their jaws and mouths. However they could chew for several reasons: they may feel bored, they are teething, they just want to play around, or they are curious about something. Like children, they use their mouths to find significant amounts of information about their environment.
To stop excessive chewing that can be done the following:
- Put him in a crate where he could not gain access to items in the home which could be chewed.
- If you don't want to confine him in a crate, be ready to supervise all his movements closely. You don't wish to find a tear on your sofa because your puppy loved chewing the upholstery.
- The puppy does not know the difference between an old shoe and a new shoe so instead of giving him shoes; give him other items that can be chewed. Toys, but not plush toys, may be good alternatives.
- Buy for him chew toys. Chewing tendencies could never be satisfied when the puppy doesn't get to chew something. Should you not want him to chump on your furniture, i suggest you invest on chew toys.
- Give your puppy adequate exercise. Chewing could also be due to too much energy in your body. If you could exhaust him a bit, his chewing behavior might be lessened.
3. Unwelcome Digging
One more primal instinct, digging could be due to fatigue, want for escape, need to find a cooler place to rest, to hide something like a bone or to create a den. While dogs used digging for many valuable reasons, many persons find it destructive. Here are a few solutions to avoid undesired digging behavior:
- Permit a special place for him to dig. This way, you would prevent any occurrences of digging in inappropriate places. To condition him to dig the special spot alone, make an attempt to really make it a rewarding experience and punish him whenever he looks for other places to dig.
- You might try deterring him from digging inappropriate places by putting small quantities of diluted ammonia or pepper in the region.
Undesirable dog behaviors could be tapered according to your wants through proper dog training but be sure you employ only the best training techniques.