3 minutes reading time (568 words)

Avoid giving your pet these treats

Sometimes, the "human" foods that your pet loves to eat can be quite dangerous for it in many ways. In some cases, you may give these foods to your pet without even realizing the potential dangers. Yet, it is important to realize which foods should be avoided in order to keep your pet happy and healthy.

Fatty Foods

Just as fatty foods are not healthy for you, they are not healthy for your pet, either. Unfortunately, however, fatty foods can be more than just "unhealthy" for your pet. In fact, they can be downright dangerous. Yet, pet owners often give these types of foods to their pets as a special treat.

Feeding fatty foods to your pet can cause problems with its pancreas, including the development of pancreatitis. Although all pets can develop pancreatitis by eating fatty foods, Cocker Spaniels, miniature Schnauzers and toy or miniature Poodles are particularly susceptible. Signs that your pet is suffering from pancreatitis include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain

Your pet may develop these symptoms quite suddenly and will likely need to receive intensive fluid and antibiotic treatment in order to recover.

Dairy Products

Every pet likes to drink a little milk, right? While your cat or dog may beg you for a drink of your milk or a taste of your cheese, it is best to avoid feeding dairy products to your pets. Although feeding dairy products generally will not cause a fatal reaction, it is possible for dairy products to cause your pet to become ill. This is partially because the digestive systems of pets do not contain the enzyme that is necessary for digesting the lactose found in dairy products. In addition, many dairy products are high in fat content. As such, dairy products also place your pet at risk of developing pancreatitis. While most dogs can tolerate eating small amounts of cheese or yogurt, it is generally best to avoid feeding them dairy products. At the very minimum, these products are likely to cause gas and diarrhea.

Old Table Scraps

Although it is generally best to avoid feeding your pet table scraps because they do not offer the balanced nutrition offered by pet foods, it is particularly important to avoid feeding old table scraps to your pet. If the old table scraps have become moldy or spoiled, it can lead to food poisoning and other serious illness. A pet that has eaten moldy foods, for example, may develop tremors or otherwise become quite ill. In order to prevent your pet from eating moldy or spoiled foods, be certain to through your table scraps away in a secure trash can that your pet will not be able to access.

Macadamia Nuts

You might thing that Macadamia nuts will make for a nice, crunchy treat for your pet. In reality, these nuts can actually be toxic to your pet, though no one is quite sure why they are toxic to animals. Nonetheless, there are reported cases of pets becoming poisoned by as little as six Macadamia nuts. Dogs that eat Macadamia nuts may develop the following symptoms:

  • Weakness
  • Tremors
  • Pale Gums
  • Depression
  • Abdominal pain
  • Difficulty walking
  • Vomiting
  • Stiffness
  • Lameness

Usually, these signs disappear within 12 to 24 hours, but it is still important to contact your veterinarian in order to ensure your pet's health and safety.

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Sunday, 10 December 2023

Captcha Image